[cups] filtering available printers, group separation and multiple cups instances on one server

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Fri Apr 28 01:08:34 PDT 2017

Hello,

(I use also direct mail addresses because my mails
to cups at cups.org get usually somehow/somewhere lost.)

On Apr 27 15:20 Michael Sweet wrote (excerpt):
>> On Apr 27, 2017, at 2:43 PM, Spike <spike at drba.org> wrote (excerpt):
>>
>> ... how can we run multiple cups server?
>
> You can run cupsd directly, providing different -c and -s values
> to point at the corresponding config files.

But I think running several cupsds on one same host
requires that all but one of those cupsds must listen
at different non-standard ports (i.e. not at the standard
IPP port 631) so that all but one of those cupsds would be
in paractice unaccessible from standard client programs.
Or do I perhaps misunderstand something here?

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
Graham Norton - HRB 21284 (AG Nuernberg)