[cups] lpadmin on Mac OS

Stephan Graf st.graf at fz-juelich.de
Tue Aug 1 02:32:43 PDT 2017

Hi!

We run a LINUX CUPS server. All Printers have the original PPD installed.
Now we want to install the printers on the clients.
On Linux client, we recommend to use the following sequence (sudo/root):

wget http://printserver.fz-juelich.de:631/printers/printer1.ppd
lpadmin -p printer1 -L "romm 123" -D "printer1 - working group a" -v
ipp://printserver.fz-juelich.de/printers/printer1 -P printer1.ppd -E

and it works fine.

I tried to do the same on Mac OS, but I got an error:
"You need to install software to use this printer. To install the
software, choose App Store... from Apple menu. If the software for your
printer isn't available in App Store..., contact the manufacturer of
your printer."

What is the right way to get the same driver (PPD) from the print server
  installed on the Mac client.

Regards,
Stephan

--