[cups] "Confidential" appears faintly across the page on every document I print.

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Sun Aug 13 11:25:30 PDT 2017

On Sunday 13 August 2017 13:07:56 Helge Blischke wrote:

> > Am 13.08.2017 um 18:50 schrieb Gene Heskett <gheskett at shentel.net>:
> >
> > On Sunday 13 August 2017 09:17:17 Helge Blischke wrote:
> >> cupstestppd -vv /etc/cups/ppd/
> >
> > Excellent, Helge, thank you.
> >
> > The very lengthy list did contain some warnings, seems Brother and
> > Adobe don't quite gee-haw on page format names.
> >
> > The reason I was curious is that I printed some data to update a
> > manual I have, designed I think for the letter sized two pages in
> > landscape mode, to be folded in half to readers digest size, so the
> > 4 pages could be read as a readers digest sized assembly, and
> > inserted in the manuals 2 ring binder to update the manual.
> >
> > Unfortunately, while the printed pages are quite high quality,
> > turning the page to read page 3, and it and page 4 on the back side
> > of that sheet of paper is upside down! Less than ideal, and if I
> > could get it to rotate the backside image 180 degrees, I'd be quite
> > grateful.  However the system printer dialog does not seem to offer
> > such.  Debian Wheezy, uptodate a/o yesterday.
> >
> > Cheers, Gene Heskett
> > --
> > soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
> > -Ed Howdershelt (Author)
>
> If the pdftopdf filter (from the openprinting cups-filters package) is
> in your filter chain, there should be an option "booklet“ which should
> just do what you want. I can’t tell more about it as I (on a Mac) I
> don’t use this package.
>
> Helge

Thats installed, but the Brother supplied ppd's do not show it in that
manner.

But what I did find that was by changing the Long Edge Binding option to
Short Edge Binding, the back side of the pages are now right side up.
So I fold in half and cut on the fold, with that edge being the outer
edge when the wider edge (binding ditch in the trade vernacular) is
punched.  Now my problem is I can't find the one hole paper punch we
supposedly own. The wife is a long retired school teacher so there ought
to be such a critter in this midden heap.

The fancy binder is a mini 3 ring lay flat, with D rings all of 3.5"
tall. I assume the original printer trimmed the edges as these pages are
nominally 1/4" longer when they are inserted than the pages now in it.
NBD. I'll find a punch if I have to drive out to Wallies, aka the local
Walmart and part with some green paper.

Thanks a bunch Helge.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)