[cups] "Confidential" appears faintly across the page on every document I print.

Brian Potkin claremont102 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 14 10:01:34 PDT 2017

On Sun 13 Aug 2017 at 18:32:40 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Sunday 13 August 2017 15:19:13 Brian Potkin wrote:
>
> > dpkg -l cups-filters
> root at coyote:/etc# dpkg -l cups-filters
> |
> Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
> |/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
> ||/ Name                        Version            Architecture
> Description
> +++-===========================-==================-==================-============================================================
> ii  cups-filters                1.0.18-2.1+deb7u2  i386
> OpenPrinting CUPS Filters
>
> The error I expect, but do not  know for sure, is because its running on
> Brothers own linux drivers.  Their linux support isn't other than
> making the drivers available, nor are there any service parts other than
> expendables for their printers, but generally, they just work. Running
> on ethernet, but slow because their driver often has to issue the same
> command 7 times, arriving at the printer with a bad tcp checksum and
> being ignored the first 6 times. On the 7nth attempt the checksum is
> good, with attempts at 1 second intervals.
>
> I'd try hitting it with a usb cable, but the usb plug is buried well
> inside the MFC, needing at least a 10' usb cable to reach any of the 3
> or 4 hubs laying about.  Schematically, my usb map is a weeping willow
> tree.  The spec is for a max, unboosted usb-2.0 cable of 5 feet. But you
> knew that...

You really would be doing yourself a favour by printing from a machine
which has jessie. wheezy doesn't have the pdftopdf filter but jessie
does. And the filter has the "booklet" option mentioned by Helge. It's
a smart facility and looks like it could suit your workflow.

Following on from Kurt's lpoptions advice, you would print from the
command line with

  lp -d printername -o booklet some-job.pdf

"booklet" is not in the output of an lpoptions command because it is
a cups-filters (not a CUPS) option.

A print queue can also be set up with the option to print from apps
like firefox. You have to use lpadmin to do this.

Cheers,

Brian.