[cups] Printing in BW in reverse order

David Niklas doark at mail.com
Sun Aug 20 18:25:22 PDT 2017

Hello (please CC),

Today, I wanted to print to my HP Color Laser m251nw printer using lp on
my Gentoo Linux system via CUPS 2.1.4. I wanted to print a pdf file in
B/W and double side it. The printer would not double side the print, so I
would have to flip the paper.
I am using the driver called "HP LaserJet 200 colo m251 Postscript".
I used the command:

lp -d m251nw -o
media=letter,HPEconoMode=True,HPColorAsGray=True,fit-to-page -P
1,3,5,7... FILE

The pages came out in color.

Also, when I placed the paper back into the printer to print the opposite
sides I had to reverse the ordering of the pages to print from back to
front instead of front to back. This had the advantage that I would not
have to double shuffle the pages to place them in the correct order
twice. However, lp responded that I had an incorrect ordering error since
I used a smaller page number than the previous page number.

Thanks,
David