[cups] printing b/w with HP Laserjet M277 Pro MFP

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Mon Dec 4 03:03:42 PST 2017

Hello,

On Dec 4 10:44 Matthias Apitz wrote (excerpt):
> El día lunes, febrero 06, 2017 a las 09:56:49a. m. -0500, Michael Sweet escribió:
>
>> Putting "*ColorDevice: False" in a PPD tells the PDF to PostScript converter
>> to output B&W color data.
>
> The PPD in question for my printer 'ps-bw' has the "*ColorDevice: False"
> statement. I was now highly surprised when I printed a test page from
> the CUPS' web frontend, that it comes out as color.

what Michael Sweet wrote is how "*ColorDevice: False" in a PPD
is meant to work in theory but as you found out in practice
  "In theory, theory and practice are the same.
   In practice, they are not."
;-)

I think I vaguely remember that stuff never worked reliably
in practice which is the reason behind why I wrote in
https://en.opensuse.org/Concepts_printing
... using a monochrome PCL driver is probably the best way
to enforce fast monochrome-only printing.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
Graham Norton - HRB 21284 (AG Nuernberg)