[cups] How to make the Device-URI accessible?

fx YAN BING yan.bing at fujixerox.co.jp
Mon Dec 18 18:44:24 PST 2017

Hi, every CUPS professional,

I'm new to CUPS, and I'm creating a simulator of printer server for testing our IPP client device.
Our IPP client device can only request a printer server through URI like following, and it is not configurable.
http://ip:631/ipp/printername

However, if I change the source code of our IPP client device
from http://ip:631/ipp/printername to http://ip:631/printers/printername,
the IPP client device will work well.

Details by step:
・Build CUPS2.2.6 on Ubuntu 10.4, and install it.
I can access the installed printer server's management page through
http://192.168.0.14:631

・Then add a printer named "HP-Printer" through
https://192.168.0.14:631/admin/
or the following command.
lpadmin -p HP-Printer -v http://192.168.0.14:631/ipp/HP-Printer -E -L "Test Place"
I can see the Connection string(Device-URI) as following after the printer added.
http://192.168.0.14:631/ipp/HP-Printer

・And then I try to get this printer's information with our IPP client,
but when I use this URL, it succeeded,
http://192.168.0.14:631/printers/HP-Printer
while this URL, it failed.
http://192.168.0.14:631/ipp/HP-Printer

Highly appreciated if anyone could explain the reason and help me to solve this problem.
How to make the printer's Device-URI usable and accessible

Best Regards
Bing