[cups] Brother HL-3140CW started printing misaligned pages

Mick michaelkintzios at gmail.com
Tue Dec 26 06:53:26 PST 2017

Hi All,

Until recently I was able to use this printer to print perfectly aligned pages
from PCs running gentoo.  A recent update of to cups-2.1.4, or more likely
net-print/cups-filters-1.16.4 has caused this Brother HL-3140CW laser printer
to start printing misaligned pages.

The printed content is cropped at the top of the page by some 13mm and shifted
to the left by 7mm.

I've been using an ipp URI with the LPR drivers and cupswrapper provided by
brother:

http://support.brother.com/g/b/files/dlf/dlf007067/
hl3140cwlpr-1.1.2-1.i386.rpm

http://download.brother.com/welcome/dlf007069/
hl3140cwcupswrapper-1.1.4-0.i386.rpm

but since the page margins/alignment became screwed up I tried in vain all the
generic cups drivers in the hope one of them would work.

I also updated cups and cups-filters to versions 2.2.6 and 1.18.0
respectively, in the hope this problem is caused by some regression bug, but
this didn't help.

Is there some config file tweak I could implement to get this working again
correctly?

PS. I noticed each time I modify a printer using the cups http GUI the
corresponding ppd file default settings are messed up.  In particular,
DefaultImageableArea and DefaultPaperDimension are reset to Letter for some
reason:

grep Default /etc/cups/ppd/HL-3140CW.ppd
*DefaultColorSpace: Gray
*DefaultPageSize: A4
*DefaultPageRegion: A4
*DefaultImageableArea: Letter
*DefaultPaperDimension: Letter
*DefaultResolution: 300dpi

Selecting 'Set Default Options' in cups and (re)selecting A4 restores the
correct setttings:

grep Default /etc/cups/ppd/HL-3140CW.ppd
*DefaultColorSpace: Gray
*DefaultPageSize: A4
*DefaultPageRegion: A4
*DefaultImageableArea: A4
*DefaultPaperDimension: A4
*DefaultResolution: 300dpi

I'm not sure if this is related to my problem by I thought of mentioning it
just in case.
--
Regards,
Mick