[cups] Share local printer through bluetooth

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Wed Feb 22 08:16:17 PST 2017

Victor,

CUPS does not support incoming Bluetooth jobs, which would require support for either HCRP ("USB over bluetooth") or BPP ("Basic Print Profile", which supports XHTML and JPEG printing of a sort).  Neither is really suitable, and I am not aware of any smartphone that supports (at an OS level) printing over Bluetooth except with special-purpose apps for the given printer (which has to support Bluetooth...)

If you are trying to "tether" your phone to your computer, I'm not sure if there is support for that in Linux - best to ask that kind of question on a Linux support forum.

Finally, most smartphones support IPP printing ("AirPrint" and "Mopria" both use it), and there are solutions for making them work with CUPS (in a limited way) vs. talking directly to the printer (which is preferred).