[cups-devel] Hacking USB uris to make them more predictable

Justin Carlson foozle at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 13:49:41 PST 2017

So, to summarize, in the case where someone plugs in multiple identical USB
printers that don't provide distinct serial numbers, our only recourse for
having multiple CUPS destinations to reliably target those printers is to
add information to the URI that distinguishes the devices based on
information that *might*, if we're lucky, remain stable across reboots, but
probably not across USB topology changes.  And since the mapping is
fragile, we have a choice, when we don't have an exact match, of falling
back to a fuzzy match (in which case we may target the *wrong* printer) or
not-matching (in which case we break a previously configured printer).

Sound about right?  I appreciate the input here to help my understand the
landscape.  Isn't interfacing with hardware *fun*?   :)

Do you have any sense for whether 'serial-number-is-bogus' is reliably
detectable across manufacturers?  Like, people leave it a zero-length
field, or set to all zeros, or similar?  No device manufacturer would do
something like set the same non-zero serial number for all devices, would
they?  Would They?

I have a sinking feeling I know the answer to this one already.  :)

-J