[cups] Mac as cupsclient

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Thu Jan 19 06:49:28 PST 2017

First, the client.conf usage of ServerName has been deprecated for many years now - see the NOTES section of the man page. The recommended way to do printer sharing (since CUPS 1.0) is to use printer sharing and a local client queue for each printer.

The Mac implements application sandboxing, which means you cannot simply talk to any outside network service from a random application that would ordinarily not require access to the network.  Similar functionality is provided by AppArmor and SELinux...

If you have Bonjour (Avahi) setup on your Linux CUPS server, you just need to pick the printer from the nearby printers list in the print dialog.  A local (pass-through) print queue will be setup on the Mac to talk to the CUPS server for that printer.

If you do not have Bonjour setup, you'll need to add each printer either from the Print & Scan preference pane (to enter the remote server and queue names) or the command-line using the lpadmin program (a common enough usage since you can provide a script to users that sets up the print queues once).