[cups] printer sharing , client.conf deprecated

Spike spike at drba.org
Mon Jan 23 07:43:34 PST 2017

Dear all,

in another thread about Mac as cupsclient Michael Sweet said:

*First, the client.conf usage of ServerName has been deprecated for many
years now - see the NOTES section of the man page. The recommended way to
do printer sharing (since CUPS 1.0) is to use printer sharing and a local
client queue for each printer.*

We used to run a setup like that and moved away from it to use client.conf
to point directly to the cups server because it simplified management for
us (and we failed to see the deprecation warning).

That said, we'd like to stick to the recommended way so I thought I'd bring
up the main problem to see if we were doing something wrong in the first
place.

The basic issue is that in a computer lab, with 10 clients pointing to one
printer, students are in the habit of trying from a different computer if
they're having problems on one. This means that if the remote cups server
has problems, we can easily end up with 2 or 3 jobs printing the same file
on different computers. These in our experience will be kept in the queue,
so when eventually the server comes back multiple copies of the same
document will be printed.

Using client.conf on the other hand, we can easily purge the queue/spot and
remove duplicated jobs automatically before resuming the server without
needing to touch each client.

We've tried using the abort policy, but to not avail, jobs will be queued,
and then if we want to avoid duplicated jobs we'll need to purge individual
queues which was not really manageable.

Can somebody shed some light on how to do this "right" following the
recommended way?

Thanks,

Spike