[cups] number-up doesn't work in CUPS 1.6.3

Andrew Ronewicz andrewtr at umich.edu
Tue Jan 24 08:41:31 PST 2017

We have two CUPS print servers, one running RHEL 6.8 with CUPS 1.4.2 and
another running RHEL 7.3 with CUPS 1.6.3.

We've found that the lpr option number-up works with CUPS version 1.4.2 but
does not work with version 1.6.3. Specifying any number of pages per sheet
with version 1.6.3 results in all pages being printed one page per sheet.
Looking at the CUPS changelog, I saw the following:

* Tue Nov 03 2009 Tim Waugh <twaugh at redhat.com> 1:1.4.1-14
  - Removed stale patch from STR #2831 which was causing problems with
    number-up (bug #532516).

Is anyone else seeing this issue? At what point after version 1.4.1-14 did
the issue resurface?

-Andrew R.

--
Andrew Ronewicz