[cups-devel] Print-URI implementation

Stephan stephanwib at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 19 04:01:12 PST 2017

Hi!

For a cloud based printing architecture, I am developing a controller
service that needs to invoke some actions on a bunch of CUPS servers.
These actions are creating IPP Everywhere print queues, deleting them
and invoking print jobs. The IPP functions CUPS-Create-Local-Printer
and CUPS-Delete-Printer seem to cover the first to actions. In order
to invoke print jobs, the Print-URI call defined in the IPP protocol
would suit perfectly, however it seems to be not implemented in CUPS.
It should at least be possible to pass a file-URI, a http-URI would be
of advantage.

Why ist Print-URI (and optionally Send-URI) not implemented? What´s
required to do that?

Thanks and regards,

Stephan

PS: I´m not sure if I will need it, but it would also be good if
Print-URI would be supported in the IPP backend, so the document to be
printed does not necessarily need be sent through the print server. I
have already verified that some printers can obtain the print data
from arbitrary web services.