[cups] Using CUPS client with Windows Print Server

Glen Gunselman ggunselm at emporia.edu
Wed Jul 5 15:19:32 PDT 2017

I do not know how wise or unwise this may be but I am having luck using Windows print servers using LPD.

I defined the printers to Oracle Linux 6.9 using the following syntax:

lpadmin -p <local printer name> -v lpd://<domain name of Windows print server>/<Windows shared printer name>

We just moved the application from Solaris 10 servers to Oracle Linux 6.9 servers about 2 months ago and I wanted to keep the application changes to a minimum.  We do not do a lot of printing but this is working well for us.

HTH,
Glen