[cups] Using CUPS client with Windows Print Server

James Ketterer jamesketterer at depauw.edu
Thu Jul 6 08:37:04 PDT 2017

Hello,

We've been experimenting with using a "print server" Mac that connects to
our shared Windows print queues via smb printing and then "shares" these
printers so other macs on the network can use the Mac OS native method to
connect to the Windows printers. The Mac that is sharing the Windows
printers is also in our MS AD domain. Access to the printers is restricted
to domain users. A normal Mac just adds the printer using the control panel
with the "default" option to browse for shared printers. On first print,
the user is prompted for their MS AD username and password. We are also
using DNS-SD or wide-area bonjour so the Mac clients find the Mac print
server printers even across VLAN boundaries.

I do have a question: How does CUPS handle the case where the client Mac is
using a different driver/PPD than the Mac print server? Does it use what's
installed on the client or server?

Thanks,

James Ketterer

Director of IT Infrastructure
DePauw University, 602 S. College, Julian Math and Science

Room 127, Greencastle IN 46135
JamesKetterer at depauw.edu  | www.depauw.edu

On Thu, Jul 6, 2017 at 9:52 AM, Prentice Bisbal <pbisbal at pppl.gov> wrote:

> Glen,
>
> I am currently using the Windows print server over LPD  in a similar, but
> very unmangeable way. IPP is more modern protocol, and without knowing all
> the differences, I assume IPP is a "better" protocol (why else would it
> have been created?).
>
> In your environment, can users specify different options from the
> command-line, like two-sided, landscape, etc? That's one of the issues
> we're having here, which is why I'd like to switch to IPP.
>
> Prentice
>

> On 07/05/2017 06:19 PM, Glen Gunselman wrote:
>
>> I do not know how wise or unwise this may be but I am having luck using
>> Windows print servers using LPD.
>>
>> I defined the printers to Oracle Linux 6.9 using the following syntax:
>>
>> lpadmin -p <local printer name> -v lpd://<domain name of Windows print
>> server>/<Windows shared printer name>
>>
>> We just moved the application from Solaris 10 servers to Oracle Linux 6.9
>> servers about 2 months ago and I wanted to keep the application changes to
>> a minimum.  We do not do a lot of printing but this is working well for us.
>>
>> HTH,
>> Glen

>>> 16:43:08.839665 IP pbisbal-lt-c7.pppl.gov.39246 >
>>> print-srv1.pppl.gov.ipp: Flags [P.], seq 115927:116126, ack 47180, win
>>> 65392, length 199