[cups] Using CUPS client with Windows Print Server

Glen Gunselman ggunselm at emporia.edu
Thu Jul 6 14:23:28 PDT 2017

As a rule users not are logging in and printing.  The app is creating the report(s) and printing using a script.  It's my understanding that the script is prepending the appropriate HP PCL to the file before printing.

Are you familiar with the lpadmin "-i interface" option?

I have some printers using "-i pcl.sh", where pcl.sh contains:

cat pcl.sh
#! /bin/bash
#  created 3/20/2017
# Command line arguments
job="$1"
user="$2"
title="$3"
numcopies="$4"
options="$5"
filename="$6"

# prefix output with HPJCL reset command
echo "^[&k2G"
cat "$filename"

If you wanted to roll your own I think you could parse "options" and chose a prefix.

Getting a "driver" that supports the options/printer should work but I have researched that option.

Are you using printers that support HP PCL?

Glen