[cups] "Filter failed."-error with Brother HL-1110 and Raspbian Jessie

Helge Blischke helgeblischke at web.de
Sat Jun 17 08:35:39 PDT 2017

> Am 17.06.2017 um 16:32 schrieb Julian J. Schnell <julian.schnell at gmx.de>:
>
> Hi,
>
> I’m trying to get a Brother printer HL-1110 running on a Raspberry Pi (Raspbian Jessie is installed). Brother offers a CUPSwrapper (which entails the PPD file and a filter file) on their website for this specific printer and I followed exactly these steps of another user (in german: http://blog.loco-toys.de/wordpress/2014/06/brother-hl-1110-treiber-unter-linuxcupsraspian/ <http://blog.loco-toys.de/wordpress/2014/06/brother-hl-1110-treiber-unter-linuxcupsraspian/>), who managed to get his printer running. I first installed cups on the Raspberry Pi and then installed the printer via localhost:631. During the installation process, I selected the specific PPD file which I downloaded from the Brother website and copied the filter file to the folder /usr/lib/cups/filter/. Each time when I start a test print, the job immediately stops with stating: Stopped. „Filter failed.“ - does anyone have an idea what to do?
> Attached is the error log (debug mode). I hope someone can help, am spending almost 2 days already with this and I have no idea what to do.

> D [17/Jun/2017:15:42:03 +0200] [Job 8] cannot stat ‘/opt/brother/Printers/HL1110//inf/brHL1110rc’: No such file or directory
> D [17/Jun/2017:15:42:03 +0200] [Job 8] PID 6999 (/usr/lib/cups/filter/brother_lpdwrapper_HL1110) stopped with status 1.

Julian,

if there doesn’t exist brother packages usable for Raspbian Jessy, install the respective package on a Linux box and copy
the directory
/opt/brother/Printers/HL1110/
(s installed on your Linux box) over to the raspberry box. Make sure that a sufficiently recent Perl is installed on the raspberry box.
There are some compiled binaries in the lpd/ subdirectory, but those probably aren’t used if your printer speaks PostScript
(aka BR3, which is brother’s PS dialect).
Otherwise you need to get the sources and compile them yourself.

Helge