[cups] Provide password for CLI tools

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Thu Mar 23 06:34:05 PDT 2017

Stephan,

This feature has been requested many times, but there is really no secure way to do so.  Command-line options show up in the process list, and environment variables can have unintended side-effects.

The most common configuration (running tools on the server itself) is managed using local certificates and/or peer credentials, so what some users do is run the commands remotely using SSH (X.509 certificates authenticate the remote connection, then the local certificates/peer credentials authenticate the CLI tools).