[cups] client-error-attributes-or-values-not-supported

Helge Blischke helgeblischke at web.de
Fri Mar 24 04:47:07 PDT 2017

> Am 24.03.2017 um 12:07 schrieb Paul van der Vlis <paul at vandervlis.nl>:
>
> Op 24-03-17 om 00:26 schreef Paul van der Vlis:
>> Op 23-03-17 om 23:48 schreef Paul van der Vlis:
>>
>>> So far I know Gnome document viewer is the same as Evince. Maybe you use
>>> a newer version as I do. I can try another PDF viewer.
>
> What do you think, is this a bug in the client what sends the job to
> cups, without checking the length of the printjob-name?
>
> Or is this bad from the document-maker, and shoult they not use such
> long titles in the document?
>
> With regards,
> Paul van der Vlis

Paul,

first, regarding my note on the Gnome document viewer:
it is indeed the same thing as Evince, with just a bit modified presentation to the user,
and I accidentally selected a printer residing on a MacOS X box, where the issue does not show up.

Second, the PDF specs prior to the quite new 2.0 spec defined the maximum string length to be
32K-1, but this limit has been dropped in the recent specification; it contains only a hint on
possible implementation limits imposed by the host operating system the PDF processor is
running on.

So, I’d suggest to file a bug at
https://github.com/apple/cups/issues ,
as I think cups should (and easily could) truncate such huge strings does to the IPP limits
(and output a message (ERROR or NOTICE) to the error_log.

Helge