[cups] Question regarding cups-pdf

Felix Natter fnatter at gmx.net
Sun May 7 05:49:10 PDT 2017

hello cups experts,

Narcis Garcia <informatica at actiu.net> writes:
> El 06/05/17 a les 13:54, Felix Natter ha escrit:
>> hello Helge, hello Narcis,
>>
>> thank you for your replies.

>>> Usually, the generated PDF files go to
>>> /var/spool_cups-pdf/<username>
>>> where <username> is the login name of the user who created the job either by command or via
>>> the print dialogue from other applications.
>>
>> /var/spool/cups-pdf$ sudo find
>> .
>> ./SPOOL
>> ./ANONYMOUS
>>
>> /etc/cups/cups-pdf.conf has this:
>> ### Key: AnonDirName
>> ##  ABSOLUTE path for anonymously created PDF files
>> ##  if anonymous access is disabled this setting has no effect
>> ### Default: /var/spool/cups-pdf/ANONYMOUS
>>
>> --> but how can I enable anonymous access?
>> (Sorry, I couldn't find it on the internet)
>
> $ sudo chmod o+rwX /var/spool/cups-pdf/ANONYMOUS

Thanks. However, this did not change anything:

before:
drwxrwxrwt 2 root lpadmin 4,0K Jan 26  2015 ANONYMOUS
drwxr-x--x 2 root lpadmin 4,0K Mai  6 13:36 SPOOL
felix at bitburger:/var/spool/cups-pdf$

after:
drwxrwxrwt 2 root lpadmin 4,0K Jan 26  2015 ANONYMOUS
drwxr-x--x 2 root lpadmin 4,0K Mai  6 13:36 SPOOL

So I guess anonymous access is already enabled.

>>> For details see the documentation that comes with the installed package (or
>>> look at the author’s web site.
>>
>> I had a look at /usr/share/doc/printer-driver-cups-pdf and
>> /usr/share/doc/cups.
>>
>> I also read:
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingPrintingProblems
>>
>> There is not much documentation on cups-pdf.de, except for the German
>> quick guide, the link of which is broken.
>>
>> The access_log has this when priting to the PDF printer via the java
>> app (when nothing arrives in ~/PDF):
>> localhost - - [06/May/2017:13:35:57 +0200] "POST /printers/PDF HTTP/1.1" 200 307 Create-Job successful-ok
>> localhost - - [06/May/2017:13:35:57 +0200] "POST /printers/PDF HTTP/1.1" 200 4110 Send-Document successful-ok
>>
>> When printing successfully from firefox, I suprisingly only get:
>> localhost - - [06/May/2017:13:36:51 +0200] "POST /printers/PDF HTTP/1.1" 200 121987 Print-Job successful-ok
>>
>> I guess this means the Java app does not use the printing API correctly?
>>
>> $ sudo cupsctl LogDebugHistory=999999
>> $ sudo cupsctl LogLevel=debug
>> --> still no log output in error_log

Does anyone have an idea why the PDF does not arrive in ~/PDF, there is
no error the error_log and the access_log is different from a successful
PDF printout (see above)?