[cups] how to disable automatic ppd updating

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Tue Oct 3 12:11:12 PDT 2017

You can use a simple trick:

Edit the PPD file prefixing the NickName.

For example replace

*NickName:      "Generic PCL 5c Printer - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.11"

by

*NickName:      "CUSTOMISED: Generic PCL 5c Printer - CUPS+Gutenprint
v5.2.11"

Then the PPD file updater is not able any more to identify to which
Debian package this PPD belongs and so the PPD gets never updated.

What the prefix is does not matter, any prefix works.

I use the trick in cups-browsed, as there I download the PPD from a
remote server to make the options available on the client, but I edit
the PPD on the client to avoid duplicate filtering (on the client and on
the server). These copies should naturally not get updated by the
package updating processes, therefore I prefix the NickNames with
"Remote printer: ".

Please report back whether it works for you.

    Till