[cups] Fwd: `ipptool` + `ippserver`: Differences between "ippsample"- and "cups"-GitHub repos?

Kurt Pfeifle kurt.pfeifle at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 27 13:27:24 PDT 2017

On Fri, Oct 27, 2017 at 9:00 PM, <cups-request at cups.org> wrote:

[....]
> The ippfind and ipptool programs will remain in CUPS and are kept in sync.
>
> Similarly, lib cups in ippsample comes from CUPS.

So am I right to assume that further development of all these three
mentioned components will take place in CUPS primarily, and then synced to
ippsample afterwards (even if only minutes later)?

The background for my question is this: even though ippsample isn’t
packaged (yet) by any Linux distribution I’m aware of, this might change in
the near future. So if one starts to package it completely, it will be in
conflict with the respective utilities shipping with/from CUPS packaging.

So the question is how to resolve the conflict. There may be various ways:

   - Keep both versions, but under different names or in different
   locations.
   - Favor one version over the other.

The ippserver program in both projects is sample code. [....]

> The ippsample version is much more complex/complete and is being used to
> prototype things like IPP INFRA and the forthcoming IPP System Service
> specification. And that version may at some point in the future be used as
> the basis for a lighter weight print system for Linux, etc.
>
> Feature-wise, ippsample’s ippserver adds support for multiple print
> queues/printers, transforms, 3D printing, and “cloud” printing. It will
> also be adding authentication, system service support (for remotely
> managing print queues, resources, etc.), release printing, and other bits
> as time permits. The CUPS version is in “maintenance” mode and will never
> be updated as a supported user application.

Thanks for this important clarification.

The fact that this “roadmap” for ippsample is now on the table will give
some more wind into the sails of those who look into packaging ippsample
for Linux distros (and maybe even for Windows, through projects like
*Chocolatey* <https://chocolatey.org/docs>…).

Cheers,
Kurt
​