[cups] `ipptool` + `ippserver`: Differences between "ippsample"- and "cups"-GitHub repos?

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Fri Oct 27 14:43:34 PDT 2017

Kurt,

> On Oct 27, 2017, at 4:27 PM, Kurt Pfeifle <kurt.pfeifle at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Oct 27, 2017 at 9:00 PM, <cups-request at cups.org> wrote:
>
> [....]
>> The ippfind and ipptool programs will remain in CUPS and are kept in sync.
>>
>> Similarly, lib cups in ippsample comes from CUPS.
>>
> So am I right to assume that further development of all these three
> mentioned components will take place in CUPS primarily, and then synced to
> ippsample afterwards (even if only minutes later)?

It is really just wherever I happen to be working at the time.  I then sync over to the other projects (ippeveselfcert also uses them).

> The background for my question is this: even though ippsample isn’t
> packaged (yet) by any Linux distribution I’m aware of, this might change in
> the near future. So if one starts to package it completely, it will be in
> conflict with the respective utilities shipping with/from CUPS packaging.
>
> So the question is how to resolve the conflict. There may be various ways:
>
>   - Keep both versions, but under different names or in different
>   locations.
>   - Favor one version over the other.

We do have a "snappy" package named "ipp" which prefixes the names of the programs with "ipp.", so (currently) ipptool becomes ipp.ipptool, etc.  I do have some plans to introduce a "name prefix" configuration option so that the snappy versions will become ipp.tool, ipp.find, and so forth.

> The ippserver program in both projects is sample code. [....]
>>
>> The ippsample version is much more complex/complete and is being used to
>> prototype things like IPP INFRA and the forthcoming IPP System Service
>> specification. And that version may at some point in the future be used as
>> the basis for a lighter weight print system for Linux, etc.
>>
>> Feature-wise, ippsample’s ippserver adds support for multiple print
>> queues/printers, transforms, 3D printing, and “cloud” printing. It will
>> also be adding authentication, system service support (for remotely
>> managing print queues, resources, etc.), release printing, and other bits
>> as time permits. The CUPS version is in “maintenance” mode and will never
>> be updated as a supported user application.
>>
> Thanks for this important clarification.
>
> The fact that this “roadmap” for ippsample is now on the table will give
> some more wind into the sails of those who look into packaging ippsample
> for Linux distros (and maybe even for Windows, through projects like
> *Chocolatey* <https://chocolatey.org/docs>…).

Keep in mind that the PWG and IPP WG have no formal roadmap or release schedule for the ippsample project. Right now we have a tentative 1.0 milestone we're using things to track issues that should be fixed before we do such a release, but that's it.  And in the meantime please DO NOT package ippsample for Linux as there has been no formal release and we are not in a position to provide support for it.