[cups] USB quirk rules

Michael Weghorn m.weghorn at posteo.de
Fri Sep 1 05:11:34 PDT 2017

Hi,

by adding printers to the USB backend quirks file in CUPS, known issues
when printing with CUPS on various USB printers can be worked around.

So far I was assuming (without actually knowing) that the underlying
problems were bugs in the respective printer hardware (e.g. their
firmware).

We recently received a new printer model where printing without adding a
quirk rule had issues (and the issue was gone after adding a respective
USB quirk rule). When addressing the issue to our supplier, we got got
as a reply that the wrong behaviour was due to a wrong CUPS handling of
USB printers and we should do the following to solve the issue:

     lpadmin -p <printername> -R usb-unidir-default
     lpadmin -p <printername> -o usb-no-reattach-default=true

This is basically what the USB quirk file does "automatically".

While adding a respective rule for a specific model is OK in a single
case, I think it would be nice to have the underlying issue addressed to
avoid that more or less the same problem reoccurs when a new model is
introduced.

Is it possible to get more information on the underlying cause why such
workarounds are needed and where a "proper" solution would have to be
implemented (if possible at all)?

Regards,
Michael