[cups] Printing to native XPS printers using CUPS

Gernot Hassenpflug aikishugyo at gmail.com
Sun Sep 10 22:05:33 PDT 2017

On Mon, Sep 11, 2017 at 12:44 AM, Helge Blischke <helgeblischke at web.de> wrote:

> [...]
/../
> My last tests have shown that eps files generated by Ghostscript’s xpswrite device
> (gs v Version 9.21) show up in MS Windows 10’s XPS-Viewer (but sometimes only the first page),
> but fail to display correctly in XPS viewers available for MacOS/Linux (either nearly the complete page
> covered by a black rectangle or all images missing), whereas eps files created by the Windows XPS writer
> are displayed correctly on both platforms.

Hello Helge,
Thanks for that testing (I assume you mean xps where you wrote eps).
Unfortunately, I did not find any ghostxps (gsxps) on my Debian
system's GhostScript 9.21, so I assume I need to still compile the
various ghostpdl utilities from source.

While it might not be very reliable to generate XPS from ghostscript
at present, if the output of pdfwrite in 9.21 is markedly improved for
input XPS files, then XPS files from Windows systems could at least be
converted to reliably printable high-quality PDF files.

Regards,
Gernot Hassenpflug