[cups] If you can read this, you are using the wrong driver for your printer.

Paul Neuwirth mail at paul-neuwirth.nl
Wed Apr 11 05:45:05 PDT 2018

On Wed, 11 Apr 2018 12:06:59 +0200 (CEST)
Johannes Meixner <jsmeix at suse.de> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> first and foremost:
> It is neither an issue in CUPS which driver you set up
> nor is it an issue in CUPS when a driver does not do
> what you expect because printer driver software is
> separated additional software "outside" of CUPS, cf.
> https://en.opensuse.org/Concepts_printing

I do think, it is also a cups problem, since I setup only using the
cups web-frontend. Add printer, selected connection, selected
manufacturer, selected device, create, set paper size, print test page.

> On Apr 11 03:36 Paul Neuwirth wrote (excerpt):
>
> > I just installed my brand new EPSON LX-1050+ printer, using defaults
> > from cups (fully compatiblew EPSON LX-1050 model), the ppd is
> > up-to-date.
>
> But you do not use a PPD with a driver in your setup.
> Wherever "the ppd is" on your system, you don't use it.
ok, that is interesting, since the webfrontend provides the options
from the ppd, and as said above, it was selected during printer
creation.
so I need to investigate why.. any hints?

> > https://openprinting.org/printer/Epson/Epson-LX-1050+
> > says "works Perfectly"
>
> It "works Perfectly" provided you use the 'epson' driver,
> whatever "perfectly" actually means when printing on a
> (black-only) dot matrix printer in raster graphics mode
> (cf. below) - i.e. as "perfectly" as that piece of
> printing hardware can do it.

that's my intention, eventually text only, but character sets are very
limited.. this works indeed perfectly using -o raw.

> > But the printout (test page) seems to be just some script,
> > what is not what I expect from "works Perfectly"
>
> Just assume the root cause could be even you who
> did not "work perfectly" when setting up your printer
> and you may describe your problems with your printer
> in a bit different tone to those who might be able
> to provide help for free to you with your specific
> problem with your particular printer model.

sorry, I didn't mean it that way, it may sound like. Just a bit of
ironic. I will try better on the next issue.

> You get plain PostScript sent to your printer
> but there is no driver run because
> in your error_log there is only:
>
> > ... Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/commandtops (PID 3180)
> > ... Started backend /usr/lib/cups/backend/ipp (PID 3181)
> > ... PID 3180 (/usr/lib/cups/filter/commandtops) exited with no
> > errors. ... PID 3181 (/usr/lib/cups/backend/ipp) exited with no
> > errors.

thank you, that is really usefull information

> FYI:
>
> In gerenal regarding using dot matrix printers in nowadays
> computing environments you may have a look at the sections
> about "Printing Plain Text in Printer-Specific Encoding" in
> https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Using_Your_Own_Filters_to_Print_with_CUPS
>
> Because you talk about "diver" I wonder if you really
> intend to print nowadays arbitrary complex documents
> in raster graphics mode on a dot matrix printer?

i just want to have the possibility, intention is to use it for text.
Thank you for the further information on this.

Regards

Paul