[cups] B&W pictures with colored grays

Rolf-Werner Eilert rwe-sse at osnanet.de
Wed Apr 18 09:07:50 PDT 2018

In regular intervals I have to print some documentation including black
and white pictures. It is a 16 pages document, mostly text, colored text
and some color pictures and some black and white pictures. The PDF is
from Scribus.

Up to now I used to print from Windows. Adobe Reader's printing dialog
is set to "Text & Foto", so if there are black and white pictures (only
gray channel), the printer prints them with the black toner only. The
pages print fast, but the printer will accept only one document at a
time. I cannot use the Number of Copies setting to let it print 10
copies, but have to send one copy 10 times to line up in the queue.

Now I have a new Linux system (we already discussed about another item
with it) which could print these documents too. It even delivers sharper
prints, but it has two drawbacks:

1) It seems to print the whole page as a picture which results in
loooong printing times. But I can use Number of Copies, it will print
all 10 copies in one go.

2) It prints black and white pictures with a bit of color toner, mainly
red, so these pictures have a light warm shimmer. And that wastes a lot
of red toner...

I have been trying around with different settings in the printing
dialog, but to no avail. Does anyone here know a special setting which
lets it print like on the Windows side?

Thanks for all hints.

Regards
Rolf