[cups] get a new copy of a network printers configuration

Helge Blischke helgeblischke at web.de
Sat Dec 1 13:43:05 PST 2018

> Am 01.12.2018 um 21:46 schrieb Bob <cups-a5729 at listemail.net>:
>
> ** Reply to message from Helge Blischke <helgeblischke at web.de> on Sat, 01 Dec
> 2018 11:06:01 +0100
>
>> As for cups-browsed, please carefully read the manual page (man 5 cups-browsed.conf).
>> Depending on the various directives, printer queues created by browsed, the generated PPDs
>> are either the ones generated by cups itself or those derived from the DNS-SD
>> TXT records or from the LDAP database.
>> In the latter case properties like duplex may not be listed there.
>>
>> Instead of doing a lot of trial and error, Iā€™d suggest you post the PPD of the printer in question
>> (as a .txt file, otherwise the attachment sill removed), and the contents of /etc/cups/cups-browsed-conf.
>>
>> I think after looking into these files, I may be able to give some help (I hope so, at least).
>
> Here is the PPD and cups-browsed.conf

Well,the PPD you sent begins with:

*PPD-Adobe: "4.3"
*%%%% PPD file for HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP m176n with CUPS.
*%%%% Created by the CUPS PPD Compiler CUPS v2.2.8.
*% (c) 2008 Copyright HP Development Company, LP

You see, it obviously is for the MFP M176n, which has ā€“ according to the HP specification ā€“ has no duplexer,
which is correctly described in the PPD.

The MFP M277dw, which you noted in your first post, is a PostScript printer with duplexer.

SO what printer are we really talking about?

Helge