[cups] Overwriting hardware page size limits

Erik Rull erik.rull at rdsoftware.de
Tue Dec 4 09:09:11 PST 2018

Hi all,

I'm using an OKI ML 3391 since years in a Windows environment and migrate now to
Linux. The printer itself seems to work using the Epson dot matrix printer driver.
But one thing doesn't work:
The printer is also used in a bulk printing environment with a predefined
hardware page size (default, active at power up).
Under Windows, I could overwrite this setting in the GPD file to assert that
also other page sizes (A4,A5,...) work smoothly.
But I was not able to adapt this in Linux / CUPS. I didn't find a way to send
down a printer command that overwrites the preset hardware wise page size. The
default hardware setting is a quite short page size and if I e.g. try to print
A5, the lower part gets not printed until the next sheet is inserted. Then I get
the second half on the second page :-(
Is there a section like the GPD files on Windows where I can send down
predefined ESC-Sequences to switch the page sizes on the printer?

Thanks in Advance.

Best regards,

Erik