[cups] USB connections and the printer's device ID.

Brian Potkin claremont102 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 11:02:32 PST 2018

I have never experienced it, but believe there are printers that do not
supply, for whatever reason, a device ID to CUPS. In that situation I am
led to believe that CUPS cannot create a USB URI. Correct?

I think that one way to print to such a printer would be to set up a
queue with

lpadmin -p testq -v file:/dev/usb/lp0 -E -m <PPD>

I know this works, but is there anything to militate against using it?

Taking an old HP LaserJet 1005 as an example of a printer which may not
supply a device ID, I think the URI it should form is possibly

usb://HP/LaserJet%201005?serial=0

If the queue was set up with "-v usb://HP/LaserJet%201005?serial=0",
would printing to it work?

--
Brian.