[cups] USB connections and the printer's device ID.

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Wed Dec 5 03:20:35 PST 2018

Hello,

On Dec 4 19:02 Brian Potkin wrote (excerpt):
> I have never experienced it, but believe there are printers that do not
> supply, for whatever reason, a device ID to CUPS. In that situation I am
> led to believe that CUPS cannot create a USB URI. Correct?
>
> I think that one way to print to such a printer would be to set up a
> queue with
>
> lpadmin -p testq -v file:/dev/usb/lp0 -E -m <PPD>
>
> I know this works, but is there anything to militate against using it?

you may have a look at
https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Using_Your_Own_Backends_to_Print_with_CUPS
therein in particular the section about
"A careless backend for a single USB printer"
and
"A backend that sends its input into a file for debugging"
that also talks a bit about the 'file' DeviceURI.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
Graham Norton - HRB 21284 (AG Nuernberg)