[cups] Brother BIG inkjet, can't make it use near enough ink

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Wed Dec 19 13:37:17 PST 2018

On Wednesday 19 December 2018 11:15:17 Axel Braun wrote:

> Hello Gene,
>
> Am Dienstag, 18. Dezember 2018, 23:08:14 CET schrieb Gene Heskett:
> > I bought this MFC-J6920DW printer to replace a CDW color laser about
> > 2 year ago, and am finally tired of the extremely pastel printing
> > its doing.
>
> Brother printers are known for their weak color printing.....
>
> > None
> > of the color tweaker settings on the advanced color page I can see
> > looking at localhost:631/printers/any profile, has any effect, as if
> > that data is being stripped from the data stream between clicking on
> > print, with or without gutenprint.
>
> Not sure if it helps, but one option is to create a (ICC) color
> profile from a service company, and add the profile to the printer.
> Did so on my cups installation , and it is now somewhat better (on a
> laser with standard office paper you cant expect too much).  I think I
> payed around 23€. HTH
> Axel

The color laser, a CDW-3170DW, was pretty good, well calibrated out of
the box. But something between the job issuer, is stripping ALL of the
color adjustments available in the printer menu advanced options page,
the have zero effect set from -20 to +20. Imo they are being dropped by
some "filter" in the path between the print it button, and the printer.

So if some one can tell me how to get a lot ore debugging into the log
files so as to show what might be missing, I'd be suitably greatfull.

Like I said, dead black on the screen, is hard put to get as dark as a
kodak 18% grey card, I'd guess it as maybe a 20% grey, as if every
slider in the advanced color menu is permanently set at -20.

From the error_log info, its looks like a permissions problem with all of
the stuff being denied. I did paste that log into the first message, but
every reply has seen it stripped.

If theres something filtering that stuff out, please id it so I can look
semi intelligently for the cause. A detailed path listing the where the
data travels over in a working cups install would be a huge help.

Its all listed in the ppd, but its not getting to the printer. Or at
least that how it appears to me.

Thanks Axel, & have a Merry Christmas.

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett