[cups] Print Black-and-White with black only

James Cloos cloos at jhcloos.com
Wed Dec 19 13:38:13 PST 2018

RE> Is there a [black ink only] option for Cups on Linux? It's the same
RE> PPD I use for both systems.

IME, those are ppd-specific.  Ie if there is an option in the ppd to do
that then it is available via the print UI and as an -o option to lp(1).

For instance, my magicolor has this in the ppd:

*%-----------   Select Color
*OpenUI *KMSelectColor/Select Color: Boolean
*OrderDependency: 64 AnySetup *KMSelectColor
*DefaultKMSelectColor: False
*KMSelectColor True/Grayscale: "<< /ProcessColorModel /DeviceGray>> setpagedevice
<< /BitsPerPixel 8 >> setpagedevice"
*End
*KMSelectColor False/Color: "<< /BitsPerPixel 8 >> setpagedevice"
*End
*CloseUI: *KMSelectColor

Which tells ps2ps to add:

 << /ProcessColorModel /DeviceGray>> setpagedevice

to the postscript before sending it to the printer if KMSelectColor is
either True or Grayscale.

lpoptions -l reports that option as:

 KMSelectColor/Select Color: *Grayscale Color

on the intance I set up as gray only.

For my inkjet, the lpoptions -l report includes:

 Ink/Grayscale: *COLOR MONO

which does the same thing.

Your ppd probably has a similar option.

You'll need to figure out what it is called and look for it in the
printing ui.  Use "lpoptions -p PRINTER -l" to see all of the options,
where PRINTER is the name of the print queue.  Or just use "lpoptions -l"
to get the results for your default print queue.

-JimC
--
James Cloos <cloos at jhcloos.com>         OpenPGP: 0x997A9F17ED7DAEA6