[cups] Brother BIG inkjet, can't make it use near enough ink

Helge Blischke helgeblischke at web.de
Wed Dec 19 14:09:41 PST 2018

> Am 19.12.2018 um 22:37 schrieb Gene Heskett <gheskett at shentel.net>:
>
> On Wednesday 19 December 2018 11:15:17 Axel Braun wrote:
>
>> Hello Gene,
>>
>> Am Dienstag, 18. Dezember 2018, 23:08:14 CET schrieb Gene Heskett:
>>> I bought this MFC-J6920DW printer to replace a CDW color laser about
>>> 2 year ago, and am finally tired of the extremely pastel printing
>>> its doing.
>>
>> Brother printers are known for their weak color printing.....
>>
>>> None
>>> of the color tweaker settings on the advanced color page I can see
>>> looking at localhost:631/printers/any profile, has any effect, as if
>>> that data is being stripped from the data stream between clicking on
>>> print, with or without gutenprint.
>>
>> Not sure if it helps, but one option is to create a (ICC) color
>> profile from a service company, and add the profile to the printer.
>> Did so on my cups installation , and it is now somewhat better (on a
>> laser with standard office paper you cant expect too much).  I think I
>> payed around 23€. HTH
>> Axel
>
> The color laser, a CDW-3170DW, was pretty good, well calibrated out of
> the box. But something between the job issuer, is stripping ALL of the
> color adjustments available in the printer menu advanced options page,
> the have zero effect set from -20 to +20. Imo they are being dropped by
> some "filter" in the path between the print it button, and the printer.
>
> So if some one can tell me how to get a lot ore debugging into the log
> files so as to show what might be missing, I'd be suitably greatfull.
>
> Like I said, dead black on the screen, is hard put to get as dark as a
> kodak 18% grey card, I'd guess it as maybe a 20% grey, as if every
> slider in the advanced color menu is permanently set at -20.
>
> From the error_log info, its looks like a permissions problem with all of
> the stuff being denied. I did paste that log into the first message, but
> every reply has seen it stripped.
>
> If theres something filtering that stuff out, please id it so I can look
> semi intelligently for the cause. A detailed path listing the where the
> data travels over in a working cups install would be a huge help.
>
> Its all listed in the ppd, but its not getting to the printer. Or at
> least that how it appears to me.
>
> Thanks Axel, & have a Merry Christmas.
>
> --
> Cheers, Gene Heskett
> --
> -Ed Howdershelt (Author)
> Genes Web page <http://geneslinuxbox.net:6309/gene <http://geneslinuxbox.net:6309/gene>>

Please post the error_log as a text file (append a ".txt“ to the file name of the attachment, and post the
PPD as well as a text file, please.
If you do a new test print, please execute the command
cupsctl —debug-loggong
before to ensure that debugging information is logged into the error_log.

Helge