[cups] Brother BIG inkjet, can't make it use near enough ink

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Thu Dec 20 01:50:24 PST 2018

Hello,

On Dec 19 16:37 Gene Heskett wrote (excerpt):
> The color laser, a CDW-3170DW, was pretty good, well calibrated out of
> the box. But something between the job issuer, is stripping ALL of the
> color adjustments available in the printer menu advanced options page,
> the have zero effect set from -20 to +20. Imo they are being dropped by
> some "filter" in the path between the print it button, and the printer.
>
> So if some one can tell me how to get a lot ore debugging into the log
> files so as to show what might be missing, I'd be suitably greatfull.

For some generic info you may have a look at
https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:How_to_Report_a_Printing_Issue
therein in particular the section
"It always helps to simulate printout on a virtual
  generic PostScript printer"

For generic info how you could do some advanced debugging
you may have a look at the section
"A filter that sends its input into a file for debugging" in
https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Using_Your_Own_Filters_to_Print_with_CUPS
and the section
"A backend that sends its input into a file for debugging" in
https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Using_Your_Own_Backends_to_Print_with_CUPS

When a filter gets CUPS raster data as input and you like to view
how that CUPS raster data looks like, you need the 'rasterview'
program from Michael Sweet, see https://www.msweet.org/rasterview/

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
Graham Norton - HRB 21284 (AG Nuernberg)