[cups] Print Black-and-White with black only

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Thu Dec 20 02:06:57 PST 2018

Hello,

On Dec 19 17:58 Rolf-Werner Eilert wrote (excerpt):
> what I meant was an additional option that forces
> black "ink" only for the black-and-white parts of the page.

if there is no such option in the particular PPD for your
particular printer model, you may have a look at the section
"Printer drivers: Make the printer print" in
https://en.opensuse.org/Concepts_printing
that reads (excerpt):
using a monochrome ... driver is probably the best way
to enforce fast monochrome-only printing

I.e. you may set up a second separated print queue with
a PPD for a monochrome-only driver (provided such a driver
is available for your particular printer model).

FYI:

I use this method at home for my PostScript+PCL color laser
printer where I have a second print queue with the good old
traditional PCL5e Ghostscript driver 'ljet4' for fast black-only
printing - regarding PostScript versus PCL and 'ljet4' see
https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Purchasing_a_Printer_and_Compatibility

In business environments two print queues for one printer
can lead to some confusion for the users (one queue looks
idle but no printout hapens via this queue because actually
the printer is busy with a huge printout from the other queue).

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
Graham Norton - HRB 21284 (AG Nuernberg)