[cups] Automatically print job when printer becomes online

Kurt Pfeifle kurt.pfeifle at googlemail.com
Fri Jan 5 09:02:04 PST 2018

On Tue, Jan 2, 2018 at 12:36 PM, Stein Rune Risa <steinrr at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I would rather want the job to be printed automatically when the printer
> is turned on. I've experimented with ErrorPolicy, but it does not seem
> to do the trick.

Can you please specify which 'ErrorPolicy' settings you did try? How
exactly did you specify these? Without this info it's pure guesswork to
give any advice.

Also, which backend/connection type is it from your Raspi to your printer?
Is it IPP, or something else?

First, you can have the ErrorPolicy setting in 'cupsd.conf'. The value of
that setting will be the default for *ALL* print queues. Your options are
"abort-job", "stop-printer", "retry-job" and "retry-this-job".

This setting is amended by the settings of 'JobRetryInterval <seconds>'
(default is 30 seconds) and 'JobRetryLimit <count>' (default is 5
re-tries) as well as possibly 'JobKillDelay <seconds>.

Second, there is a *per-queue* option which may override the general
policy defined in 'cupsd.conf'. It is applied when you set up or modify a
queue with the 'lpadmin' command:

     -o
printer-error-policy=<abort-job|retry-job|retry-this-job|stop-printer>

Did you try the following in your 'cupsd.conf'?

     ErrorPolicy retry-job
     JobRetryLimit 0        # Should retry an unlimited number of times
     JobRetryIntervall 120
     JobKillDelay 0

Cheers, Kurt

On Tue, Jan 2, 2018 at 9:00 PM, <cups-request at cups.org> wrote:

> Today's Topics:
>
>    1. Automatically print job when printer becomes online
>       (Stein Rune Risa)
> Message: 1
> Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2018 12:36:09 +0100
> From: Stein Rune Risa <steinrr at gmail.com>