[cups] removing 3 printer limit from 1.5.4

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Fri Jan 26 13:02:03 PST 2018

Greetings;

I have a Brother MFC-J6920DW, which is basically a letter sized mechanism
turned sideways so you can feed it tabloid paper one sheet at a time.

It also has both flatbed 11x17 scanning ability, plus an adf for more
normal sized papers. No duplexing available on the scanner but the rest
of it, except for the tabloid setting, can do full duplex.  The scanner
part works great with sane.

Because this printer has so many interlocking features, its not possible
to setup a ppd to use near all of its features because of the limitation
of 3 printers apparently imposed by cups, as I also have a Brother
HL-2140 B&W laser, that leaves me only able to setup 2 profiles for the
MFC-J6920DW.

I need to be able to define at least 4, maybe 5 different capability
profiles so that I can send the job to the correct profile for the
instant job. For instance, I need a totally different color profile
depending on the paper in the selected tray, it has 2, one is thick
double sided glossy photo on both sides, and tray 2 is normally loaded
with the usual 24 lb duplex paper.

Adding a printer simply replaces one that has already been configured,
and destroys the settings it had.

How can I enable the creation of these other, much needed profiles, or
ppd's. That directory btw is empty as they are all running on brother
drivers with cups-wrappers which are located in the /opt/Brother stuff
directory.

Help please...

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett