[cups] Ubuntu 18.04 v. Brother v. cups 2.2.7

Bob Burton bobburton at math.arizona.edu
Wed Jul 25 13:19:58 PDT 2018

I've installed cups 2.2.7 on a desktop running Ubuntu 18.04.  It's
configured as close as I can get it to cups 2.1.3 on another desktop I have
running Ubuntu 16.04.

No issues on the ubuntu 16.04 machine--cups/printers work as expected.

On the Ubuntu 18.04 machine, by default it's automatically adding all of
the Brother network printers on the local subnet (about 10).  Just the
Brother printers--no HP or Konica.

If I disable the avahi-daemon and cups-browsed daemons, it stops adding the
Brother printers, but whenever I try to print something from the machine,
it takes a very long time to initialize the print window.  Eventually it
pops up with just the printers I've explicitly added to the machine, but
it's behaving as if it's still spending several minutes searching
unsuccessfully for remote printers.

Has anybody else seen anything like this?  Ideally, I don't want ubuntu
18.04 to add any extra printers, ever.  I just want to see printers I've
explicitly added.

There's a possible fix on the Brother end, but it would require disabling
the ipp protocol on the Brother printers, which is used by other OSs using
those printers...

--
Bob Burton
IT Support Analyst