[cups] CUPS on Windows through GNU container

Narcis Garcia informatica at actiu.net
Wed Jun 6 04:28:13 PDT 2018

For curious people or anybody needing this as a solution:

Updated Windows 10 instances have new container-based feature; similar
to LXC containers for GNU/Linux CLI distributions.
(Control panel -> Enable or disable Windows features -> Linux subsystem
-> reboot -> Store -> Debian)

I've tried to install printing server with tasksel in a Debian container
(sudo apt update ; sudo apt install tasksel ; sudo tasksel); note that
Systemd init system is not working: then must be launched manually:
sudo cupsd
+ sudo usermod --append --groups lpadmin $USER

At this point, from Explorer/Edge you can visit http://localhost:631/
and manage CUPS normally. I've succeed adding a network printer and
testing a page with same simplicity as in full Unix workstation.
No need to recompile software.
I don't know if it's so simple for local (eg:USB) printers.