[cups] Print range confusion

Helge Blischke helgeblischke at web.de
Wed Jun 6 04:34:17 PDT 2018

> Am 06.06.2018 um 11:45 schrieb Mathias Weyland <mathias at weyland.ch>:
>
> On 2018-06-06 11:17, Helge Blischke wrote:
>
> Hello
>
> Thanks for your reply!
>
>> Please post the complete log file portion regarding the job on the
>> client system.
>
> I uploaded the 250 kb log file generated by your perl script along
> with the pdf file in question here:
>
> https://drive.google.com/open?id=15n9k6RP5PvYiwP2DET6YO6-SmO-sPh1D
>
> I may be completely wrong in my interpretation, but it looks as
> if the client uses pdftopdf to extact page 15 (line 58) which then
> becomes page 1. It hands over this single-page document to the
> remote server and tells it to print page 15 (line 188). But
> page 15 does not exist (anymore) because it's page 1 now.
>
> In any case I'm happy for hints how to go about this
>
> Regards
>
> Matt

It looks like your printer is treated as a local printer on the client system, though the device_uri

DEVICE_URI=ipps://pi-printserver.local:631/printers/HP_LJ1018

clearly defines it as a remote printer.
From the sources (scheduler/job.c, scheduler/printers.c) it is clear that no filters should be
started for remote printers, but it seams that the PPD resident on the client system defines pdftopdf
as the last filter:

pdftopdf: Last filter determined by the PPD

which then is forced to be used on the client.

To find out more about this issue, I’d need the PPD for this printer from both the client and the server system.

Perhaps Michael Sweet as the "father“ of CUPS might be able to give a hint.

Helge