[cups] Print range confusion

Helge Blischke helgeblischke at web.de
Wed Jun 6 13:44:13 PDT 2018

> Am 06.06.2018 um 19:29 schrieb Mathias Weyland <mathias at weyland.ch>:
>
> On 2018-06-06 13:34, Helge Blischke wrote:
>
>> To find out more about this issue, I’d need the PPD for this printer
>> from both the client and the server system.
>
> I am attaching the server ppd. I cannot find a ppd file on the client
> machine. I'm somewhat confused by that. Where is that ppd supposed to
> be? On a related note there is also no entry in printers.conf. This had
> me even more confused so I checked on my girlfriends machine (an older
> Linux Mint installation) and she has a local ppd file that is no
> different from the server ppd, along with an entry in printers.conf.
> Also, it turns out that the range issue is not present on her client
> (cups 2.1.3-4ubuntu0.4).
>
> Is this (no client ppd and no printers.conf entry) the new way or is my
> client misconfigured all the way down?
>
> Thanks again and regards
>
> Matt
> <HP_LJ1018_server.ppd>_______________________________________________

There *must* be a PPD file on the client system. The client log file states near the beginning of
the log entries regarding the job in question:

[Job 89] envp[20]="PPD=/etc/cups/ppd/HP_LaserJet_1018_pi_printserver.ppd“

and the printer’s name shows that this printer on the client system has been configured by
a system administrator.
And this PPD *must* have a line like
*cupsFilter: "application/pdf  nn odftopdf“
(where nn stands for the cost number).

On the other hand, the server side PPD contains the statements

*cupsFilter:    "application/vnd.cups-postscript 100 foomatic-rip"
*cupsFilter:    "application/vnd.cups-pdf 0 foomatic-rip"

which does not conform with the log message:

[Job 89] pdftopdf: Last filter determined by the PPD: -; FINAL_CONTENT_TYPE: application/pdf ...

in the client side log file.

I suspect the pdftopdf filter statement in the PPD has been set up to provide the page_log messages on the client side,
but this filter does not check for remote printers when processing the job options.

Helge