[cups] Print range confusion

Mathias Weyland mathias at weyland.ch
Wed Jun 6 14:23:56 PDT 2018

On 2018-06-06 22:44, Helge Blischke wrote:

> There *must* be a PPD file on the client system.

Correct. The ppd file is created when I print but removed as soon as
the print job is done. I was not aware of that and checked the folder
while no print job was active, thus did not see any file. The salvaged
client ppd is attached.

> And this PPD *must* have a line like
> *cupsFilter: "application/pdf  nn odftopdf“
> (where nn stands for the cost number).

hm I couldn't see such a line but maybe there's something else in there
that implies it?

> I suspect the pdftopdf filter statement in the PPD has been set up to
> provide the page_log messages on the client side,
> but this filter does not check for remote printers when processing
> the job options.

If this is somehow related to the page counting/billing feature then
that would be great news as I really don't need that, let alone on the
client. I have to admit that I fail to understand where that new client
ppd is coming from. I'm not actively setting up this printer on the
client, it just shows up by the automatic cups browsing feature.

As far as I understand, I could set up the print server manually in the
client cups config, assign the "good" server PPD and that should work.
Do you think this is the way to go? I'd rather avoid that because I
think that this browsing feature is kind of cool but if this turns out
to be a deep rabbit hole then so be it...

Regards and thank you

Matt