[cups] Do not send jobs if printer is unhealthy (paper out/network/etc)

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Fri Jun 8 07:04:11 PDT 2018

Hello

only some generic info FYI:

On Jun 8 13:27 Horváth Szabolcs wrote (excerpt):
> DeviceURI hp:/net/HP_LaserJet_600_M602?ip=10.5.50.2
> ... SNMP status ...
> Is there any method to detect printer issues before sending
> out jobs (health check before every print job)?

Currently you use the CUPS backend 'hp' probably
from HP's HPLIP software.

When CUPS is used only the so called CUPS backend
is talking directly to the actual printer device.

Accordingly it is the CUPS backend that could determine
whether or not the actual printing unit of the printer device
is healthty enough to be able to print out a print job.

But I wonder how to detect things like only 12 sheets of paper
are left in the printer's input bin but the print job would
need 123 sheets of paper to be printed completely?

I don't know to what extent the 'hp' CUPS backend in HPLIP
implements quering the actual printing unit in HP printer
devices for what you need in your particular case.

The real answer whether or not the 'hp' CUPS backend in HPLIP
can do what you need in your particular case must be provided
by a HPLIP developer.

You can get in contact with the HPLIP developers via
https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imaging-and-printing/about

Alternatively you may experiment on your own with your own
selfmade CUPS backend, see
https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Using_Your_Own_Backends_to_Print_with_CUPS

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
Graham Norton - HRB 21284 (AG Nuernberg)