[cups] Epson WF-6090: Varying line thickness on prints with horizontal lines

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Mon Jun 18 05:25:44 PDT 2018

Hello,

On Jun 18 06:24 David Rea wrote (excerpt):
> Something appears to be resampling the PDF,
> possibly during rasterization?

Yes that hapens and it is possible that this is the root cause.

On my  openSUSE Leap 42.3 system I see that
all PPDs of Epson's epson-inkjet-printer-escpr contain
*cupsFilter: "application/vnd.cups-raster 0 epson-escpr-wrapper"
where epson-escpr-wrapper is Epson's actual driver program
/usr/lib/cups/filter/epson-escpr-wrapper
that gets data of type "application/vnd.cups-raster" as input
and outputs raster data that matches the printer model,
cf. the sections "The Filter (includes the Driver)"
and "The Backends" in
https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:CUPS_in_a_Nutshell

To find out whether or not the root cause is Epson's
/usr/lib/cups/filter/epson-escpr-wrapper
or if it is already in its "vnd.cups-raster" data input
you need to get that "vnd.cups-raster" data input
and display it with the "rasterview" program.

I am not a Ubuntu user so that I cannot tell you
how to get the "rasterview" program for Ubuntu.

The a bit tricky part is how to get the "vnd.cups-raster"
data input of /usr/lib/cups/filter/epson-escpr-wrapper.

My personal way is to move the original
/usr/lib/cups/filter/epson-escpr-wrapper
away and create a bash script with the same name
which only outputs its stdin input to a regular file.

Then I can display that file with "rasterview".

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
Graham Norton - HRB 21284 (AG Nuernberg)