[cups] Epson WF-6090: Varying line thickness on prints with horizontal lines

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Tue Jun 19 08:11:01 PDT 2018

Hello,

On Jun 19 10:39 David Rea wrote (excerpt):
> So it appears the Epson driver and printer are OK,
> and I need to look upstream in the filter chain.

do this if you are interested but...

> For what it's worth, this is a PCL/PostScript capable printer:
> https://epson.com/For-Work/Printers/Inkjet/Epson-WorkForce-Pro-WF-6090-Printer-with-PCL-PostScript/p/C11CD47201-NA
> - I will also look into sending Postscript data to it directly.

...do that if you like to "just print".

In general see
https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Printer_buying_guide
and
https://en.opensuse.org/Concepts_printing

In the latter see particular the section
"Printer drivers: Make the printer print"
that reads (excerpt):
For example a PostScript+PCL color ... printer
could be operated as

* PostScript printer using a PostScript PPD
* color PCL printer using a PPD for a color PCL driver
* monochrome PCL printer using a PPD for a monochrome PCL driver

Printing via a PCL driver is usually faster but with
less quality than printing in PostScript mode and using
a monochrome PCL driver is probably the best way to
enforce fast monochrome-only printing.
Regarding "a color PCL driver":
The newest Gutenprint version has support for PCL 5c
i.e. support for printers that use PCL 5c natively
(as opposed to emulation).

In the above documents you will read "color laser printer"
because usually only laser printers supported PCL but
actually the printer's internal technique how it gets
marker dots on the paper should not matter so that also
"color ink printers" are supported provided the printer
"understands" PCL 5e (monochrome) or PCL 5c (color)
or PostScript or even PDF natively.

FWIW:
At home I have a color laser PostScript+PCL5e printer
and I have zero issues to get anything reasonable
"just printed" well.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
Graham Norton - HRB 21284 (AG Nuernberg)