[cups] Gutenprint jobs never print

Caelia Chapin caelia.chapin at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 20:36:15 PDT 2018

Hello!

I am using CUPS 2.2.7 on Arch Linux (x86_64). I am trying to print on an
Epson Artisan 1430 printer. This is a high-quality inkjet printer, and as a
photographer and digital artist, print quality is very important to me.

I've gotten excellent results on this printer in the past using TurboPrint,
but there is an issue that may prevent me from using that product, and in
any case I'd prefer to use free drivers if I can get the results I need. I
am able to print without difficulty using the Epson-provided driver with
CUPS, but the print quality doesn't match my expectations, and the
available settings are quite limited.

So I want to try using Gutenprint. But today I attempted 3 times to print a
small image from GIMP using Gutenprint, and the image simply did not print.
When I checked the CUPS status page, there was a message reading "Sending
data to printer." I refreshed the page several times, but the status
message did not change. The job size was shown as about 39MB, so I would
expect it to take a little time, but on each attempt I waited several
minutes, and once I waited for 28 minutes.

Any ideas what is going wrong here?