[cups] CUPS error logs

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Thu Mar 1 13:37:55 PST 2018

Derby,

To respond first to your other posting, "Closing for error 32 (Broken pipe)" just means the client closed its side of the connection.  We don't log that debug message anymore in newer versions of CUPS/macOS.

Unfortunately, this list strips out HTML so any highlighting you did has been lost...  From what I can see, this printer is connected via USB and is an older printer that needs drivers.  The only error happens at the end of the job when the USB backend gets stuck waiting for back-channel data from the printer:

> D [28/Feb/2018:10:56:55 -0500] [Job 127] Read thread still active, aborting the pending read...
> D [28/Feb/2018:10:56:55 -0500] [Job 127] Got USB return aborted during read
> D [28/Feb/2018:10:56:55 -0500] [Job 127] PID 8976 (/usr/libexec/cups/backend/usb) exited with no errors.

This typically only happens if the printer's firmware crashes (requiring the printer to be power cycled), or it could be stuck waiting for the user to do something at the printer (although that usually doesn't cause this error - kind of hard to inform the user if you can't send the error back to the computer...)

Anyways, probably the best way forward is to file a bug with Apple (bugreport.apple.com <http://bugreport.apple.com/>) who can then work with the manufacturer (Ricoh?) to determine the cause and provide a fix.