[cups] Cups 1.7.5: Paper tray/feeder not free for printer

Rolf-Werner Eilert rwe-sse at osnanet.de
Fri Mar 16 00:29:07 PDT 2018

Michael,

Let's start with lpoptions:

tester at ws097:~> lpoptions
copies=1 device-uri=socket://192.168.10.206 finishings=3
job-hold-until=no-hold job-priority=50 job-sheets=none,none
marker-change-time=1521184570 marker-colors=#000000,none
marker-levels=79,-1 marker-names='C-KIT\ CD5135,Waste\ Toner\ Box'
marker-types=toner,waste-toner number-up=1
printer-commands=AutoConfigure,Clean,PrintSelfTestPage
printer-info=Bürodrucker printer-is-accepting-jobs=true
printer-is-shared=true printer-location=Sekretariat
printer-make-and-model='P-3525 MFP (KPDL)' printer-state=3
printer-state-change-time=1521184570 printer-state-reasons=none
printer-type=8425556
printer-uri-supported=ipp://192.168.11.1:631/printers/drucker6
tester at ws097:~>

Software is mixed, LibreOffice, Word 2000 and 2007 (under
Wine/cxoffice), self programmed software under Gambas...

The system is an LTSP network of fat clients, the whole thing based on
Suse Leap 42.2, the chroot as well. Due to some technical glitches I
haven't yet been able to update or try different drivers. As Cups and
the printer drivers are on the base system (not in chroot), I could try
to tweak them though.

Drivers? You mean PPD? It's the same PPD that was used on the old
system, the original one delivered with the printer (Utax 3525, which is
a Kyocera derivate).

For couple of weeks I had both the old and the new system running, and
from the old system it used the paper as usual. Of course I checked
every option for inconsistencies, but the new one runs with exactly the
same options.

Regards
Rolf